So it’s been pretty close to a month since I updated. Pretty poor effort on my part I suppose. I haven’t been playing much Gears of War… which as my wife will tell you, is a pretty clear indicator as to how much free time I have. There’s a lot of random stuff I want to say so I’ll just bullet point it all.
- Went to NY
- The Central Park Zoo is pretty cool
- Polar bears are awesome, this one was doing laps and scratching his back on the wall
- The Waldorf=Astoria is nice, but not nice enough to justify the price.. there was a big model competition while I was there. I’ve never seen so much luggage in all my life. I now wish I had taken a picture, it was unreal.
- A lot of walking around town, which was fun
- Finished semester last week
- Got a 3.9! Whee!
- Thoughts on the semester….
- Operating Systems course was weak. The professor had a distributed systems background, but was pretty light on OS knowledge. However, the book was great.. reminder to self.. read the book in free time
- Interactive Graphics was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.. The projects were very time consuming, it can be difficult to debug 3D programs. Teacher provided most of the notes, which I like.. lets me focus on the lecture.
- Comparative Programming Languages .. everyone was lost! We got hung up on the implementation details of ML for a few weeks. The course isn’t in depth enough that I could write my own compiler.. it’s also too in depth to be useful day to day. The university should probably just ditch this and offer a course that provides a simple overview of language features along with an optional course in compilers.
- Functional Programming was a really enlightening course. It felt great to think about programs in a different way. Everything recursive ends up being so elegant in a functional language. Definitely going to keep my feet in the functional pool.
- Statistics 2 .. it was statistics.. 🙂
- Taking the summer off of school
- Landed an internship
- Only been there a week, but definitely having fun
This ended up being really long, I should probably avoid bullet points from now on.
Leave a Reply